Wednesday, 31 August 2011

TEArific

Fact: I am  extremely caffeine sensitive. That means I can't drink coffee. At all. I can't even eat tiramisu if I want to sleep in the next three days.

I have friends who could drink a coffee before bed and still sleep soundly all night long. Not me though. No way. So if I want a hot, comforting drink I am all about tea.

With only a fraction of the caffeine of coffee, I can have up to 4 cups of tea a day... then I get the shakes and feel nauseous (I am such a lightweight  *sigh*).

I wonder if there is a support group for people like me. I'm gonna google it. Maybe I should start one.. in the meantime, let me tell you about some of my favourite teas.

Twinings Earl Grey
So light and refreshing. I'm not entirely sure what bergamot is (or how to pronounce it) but it is delicious. A perfect afternoon tea. Twinings version is nicely balanced - not too much of any one flavour. I found some other brands taste like you are drinking an orange tree.

English Breakfast
This is your good all rounder. Any time of the day this little gem will make you feel all warm and cosy. Not too heavy and not too light.

Green Tea
When you feel like you need a hit of antioxidants or when eating yum cha or sushi this is the tea for you. It is the business. Totally aids digestion and stops you feeling heavy or bloated after eating a lot (as I usually do).

Dilmah Extra Strength 
My current  favourite. I like my tea like I like my men - hot, strong and dark *wwwiiiiiiiinnnkkkkkk*. So I often find that one tea bag is never strong enough. But these little gems do the trick. I put two tea bags in my gigantic-head-sized tea cup and I am happy as a pig in poop. As they say in their ads 'do try it'.

Now I know there will be tea lovers out there who look down on tea bags as an inferior tea-drinking method. And I don't want to start beef with any hardcore, fundamentalist tea groups, but I just do not have the time or inclination to use loose leaf teas. I appreciate the ceremony of tea making, and it is a wonderful thing to share a pot of tea with a friend, but when I am workin' 9 to 5 (sing it, Dolly) I am grateful for the invention of the humble tea bag.

I love tea so much I might just marry it.

No comments:

Post a Comment