Saturday, 6 August 2011

Nerdy Loves Her Booky Wooks

I am one of those people who doesn't watch a lot of tv (ugh, I hate it when people say that. It's so pretentious). This is not due to the fact that I think it makes people stupid (it does), or that most of the programming is aimed at the lowest common denominator (it is), but more to do with the fact that I recently lost my remote*.

This was a blessing in disguise as it forced me to use my study break for something other than staring vacantly at the idiot box. And happily, I discovered three amazing books that I love. So like Oprah, I want to share them with you:

Born to Run - Chris McDougall
As you will note from my previous posts, I am new to the sport of running. When I went to my GP recently, we were bonding over our love of this crazazy sport and he suggested I read this book as it would change the way I think about running and the human body.

It changed so much more than that. Without carrying on like a fan girl loser, let's just say that this book helped me harness the simple joy I feel when I run. It has also made me more aware of my body and the limits I set on myself. Powerful stuff. Ooh and I learned that chia seeds are not just for growing chia pets - informative!

Bossypants - Tina Fey
I love comedy. And funny people. 30 Rock is one of the greatest shows being made. And Tina Fey is a comic genius. She's not a funny chick, or funny for a girl, she is just comedy personified.

Tina's voice and self-depreciating style come through loud and clear here. For me, knowing the back story adds depth and richness to this already fascinating comedian. The book is funny, sweet and shows another side to the good girl of comedy. I couldn't put it down.


The Bedwetter - Sarah Silverman
If you don't like being confronted by your own worst fears and insecurities - don't read this book. Sarah lays all her humiliations, triumphs and regrets out on the table for the world to see. And if you don't like it?

Too. Fucking. Bad.

I was discussing the differences between Tina and Sarah with my Awesome Friend of Awesomeness, and I think this text exchange sums it up perfectly:

Me: Really interesting their different experiences of SNL. Tina is 'the good girl' who did her time and won Lorne Michael's approval. Sarah walked in and said "pee, shit, fuck, cunt - peace out".

AFofA: Ahahahahahaha! Exactly. :) I fucking bastard cunting well love her.

Now the semester has started again and I have to go back to reading text books and journals until the next study break. So until then, read well and often. Peace out.

*I found the remote. It was stuck under the couch. Luckily I am slightly compulsive and must watch things sequentially and from the beginning, effectively preventing me from watching most of what's now on tv :)

No comments:

Post a Comment