Sunday, 23 January 2011

Rediscovering My City

This morning I woke up with raging period pain. But rather than hiding in bed watching episodes of Mad Men, I decided to get dressed and go exercising.

What a total loser. I can't even comprehend what came over me. I haven't felt the spontaneous urge to exercise in months. And yet, at the moment when it felt like a midget was swinging from my uterus, I ventured into the great outdoors.

It was a beautiful Sunday Summer morning and as soon as I started walking, my spirits lifted. I am fortunate enough to live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and I was headed towards the Botanical Gardens.

I hate those smug self-satisfied fitness freaks who get up early every day to pound the pavement, but this is the view I was greeted with as I came up the hill, and for a moment, or maybe only a fraction of a moment, I got it. The city was really turning it on and the tourists were out in their hundreds. And as I looked at the beautiful harbour, I felt proud and amazed at the city I call my home.

Did it make me any less bloated? No. Was my lower back released from the vice-like grip? No. But I was sufficiently awed that I might just do it again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment